I was told that most likely I would be able to leave each day no later than 3 o'clock. That sounded nice.
I was also told that most likely I would be done by early Wednesday afternoon. That sounded nice as well.
I was enlightened to the fact that there was Internet access and a set of tables for "first come, first serve". That sounded great as well because then I could keep up with my work. I was a little concerned as to how far behind I might get, especially since I was just starting to get caught up.
My plan was to leave Monday morning at 7 a.m. I needed to be downtown by 8:30 and I had no idea how traffic would be or how far I might have to walk once I got there. So, I'd love to say that Monday morning came without a hitch.
BUT if I said that then I would be lying.
Something mysterious happens whenever I need to be up early for something.
I toss and turn all night, I guess in fear that I am going to oversleep.
I dream about oversleeping.
I usually wake around 3ish and think maybe I should just get up now.
But I never do.
So of course, I had set my alarm for 5:45 and woke up at 6:45. Ugh. Where were my early risers when I needed them?!?
I made it out of the house by 7:15 but so much for my leisurely morning! The rest of the day was highly stressful as well. The first case they had...I was selected to be in the pool. We went to the courtroom, it is an 8-week grand jury trial and the only way I got out of it is because we will be traveling for 3 weeks in August.
Whew!
I shuffle back to the "holding" room and the next trial they have...again, I am selected. I head back to the courtroom and discover this is a 1st degree murder trial and it is sequestered!!! What?!? This cannot be happening! They want me to leave my family for 3 days?
Praise the Lord they found everyone they needed before getting to me!
Day One-exit building at 5:00.
Day Two- did not have to be there until 9:30 so that was nice. Got there a little early to ensure a desk for myself and got right to work. I was pleased to be able to get almost all my work done for the entire week!! Oh, and they asked did anyone want to give blood?
Ha! Me! Me!
So, day two was a little more relaxing. The first case I was not chosen for. Then I went to give blood. After lunch they called another case and I was not chosen. Woohoo! Maybe I'll go home by 3?!? Ten minutes later they came in and call the rest of us to the next case.
Darn!
So, we file in and they say this case will last until tomorrow afternoon, and I am sitting there praying I will get picked. It is just a domestic abuse case and I'm willing to give my fair opinion and then be done for 10 years.
I get picked to go up but I'm a leftover. There are 20 of us, I'm number 19 and they only need 14. They pick there 14 and I get sent home. Double Ugh!
BUT...
I walk out of the courtroom and a kind deputy says to me, you are done for the next 10 years! I almost started dancing! Somebody pinch me please...
So, day two-exit building 3:30. Not too bad. I'm just overjoyed that I don't have to do that again. Like I said, it wasn't so bad. That first day was highly stressful but after that it was fine.
Best thing...kids were fine, Kyle was fine. Kyle is a great dad and husband. He took off work so that I could rest assured that the kids were taken care of. The kids enjoyed that extra time with Dad.
So in the end it was a nice break in the normal routine for all of us. Kyle discovered that he is not meant to stay home, he needs to get out and "go" at work. I discovered that I love my life at home, I love that I can be home with my kids full-time.
I also discovered that it is okay if things aren't done exactly how I would do it.
I discovered maybe I need to let some things go.
Maybe I need to lighten up.
Maybe...
No comments:
Post a Comment