Friday, July 31, 2009

From Dot to Dock to Milk


I'm not sure what it is but Elijah's speech has improved literally overnight. It is odd also that during these times when he "wakes up" with a new word that he is a great sleeper as well.

It is no secret that my kids don't really care about sleep. For a while he rarely ever took a nap. But when we were in Florida back in June, he slept pretty much every day. And amazing, after a few days of napping, he would wake up talking like crazy.

Once we got home he slowly started giving up sleep during naptime again. I was a little sad but hung with it. After about a month he started sleeping again and once again the speech picked up. Coincidence?

Maybe.

However, for the longest time the poor little guy has always referred to milk (his favorite drink) as 'dot'. Combine that with some chocolate and you've got yourself some 'dottie dot'. I was pretty much the only person who really even knew what he was saying. Well, except maybe Ella...sometimes she even gets things I don't. ;)

We have worked and worked with him to at least just get the 'm' sound in there. Nope. Never worked. But after awhile 'dot' did turn to 'dock'. I guess he's getting there!

Okay so after one of those weeks where he napped everyday, for 2 to 2 1/2 hours, we were getting ready for bed and he said, "Mommy, I want milk."

I made him say it again :) I was very proud and just praised him and praised him!

My little guy is growing up. He now speaks in full sentences and can carry on quite a conversation!

Here are a few of his favorites:

When asking me a question and Ella jumps in: "I not talkin you Lella, I talkin Mommy."

When Ella whines or throws a fit about something: "Lella need to go to bed. You need to go to bed, Lella."

When Ella does something nice for him or shares with him without an issue: "Dis is so nice Lella. Is dis nice, Lella?"

Oh, I'm sure there are more but those are the most common ones. It is hard to believe how quickly time is going with him. With both of them. I mean my little girl is about to be 6 in a few short months...that makes me feel a little old. And my baby is going to be 3?!? What?!

No comments: