Saturday, October 30, 2010

Halloween 2010

It's official.
Halloween has got to be my least favorite "holiday".
Scratch that....I'm not a fan of Halloween at all.

Before you go thinking I'm a scrooge or party-pooper or something far worse, allow me to explain...

My children are absolutely terrified of all things Halloween. I don't mean a little skittish. I mean full out terror. It usually starts in early September. I have learned not to take them to a party store during this time, even though both of them have birthday's in October, which can make it difficult to get party decorations for them. But by October, it is difficult to take them shopping ANYWHERE!!! I kid you not, the first thing out of their mouths when I say go get your shoes on is, (gasp), "Scary stuff!"

Ex-haust-ing.
And it takes nearly the entire month of November to convince them that there is no more "scary stuff" in the stores. Ugh.

However, I do love to see them dress-up, I just wish it weren't filled with so much drama.

This year Elijah was a fireman. Last year Kyle's parents bought him a fireman dress-up set and a few months before Halloween he played with it daily. Easy decision there. This year for his birthday my mom got him a "talking" fireman belt to add to his outfit and I got him fireman rain boots. He got to dress up at school and go trick-or-treating around to the other classrooms.


Originally Ella wanted to be Jesse, the cowgirl, from Toy Story. We had plans to do our own version and she was going to wear her red wig. Last minute we completely changed plans and she was just a traditional cowgirl. Easy peasy since she had a horse-themed birthday party. (one plus to having October birthdays- we pretty much always use the same theme as their party for their halloween costume.)



We headed to a nearby church that was holding a fun-filled Halloween event. They had a great time and got to ride horses (perfect for our little cowgirl).




Inflatable slide...


Not sure what this is called, reverse bungee jumping?





I love this because it looks like he is dreaming about fighting a real fire.
Or watching a real fire. The glare at the top looks like smoke to me.

And Ella even climbed a rock wall.

She made it this far, looked down, and got spooked.
So close to ringing that bell!!!

Oh, and here they are resting.

By a humongous FIRE ANT hill!!!



Ella requested that we make Halloween themed food. I gave it my best effort. She loved the jack-o-lantern sloppy joes, he loved the witch's brew drink.




Hopefully by next year I will have convinced them that plastic, bloody masks are fake and cannot hurt them!

Oh, who am I trying to kid?!?

No comments: