Amazing.
Okay, school stuff. Here's what we've been up to during our second month of school. Lots of fun. The history is really picking up and we did a few crafts also. She seems to really enjoy learning about history. I have found that homeschooling two kids is MUCH harder!! Last year I "included" Elijah but didn't really do any work with him. He was in the room with us, he participated when he wanted to, but I didn't focus on one-on-one teaching with him. It is hard at times to juggle them!! We have good days and bad, I just try to hold on to the good ones.
So we are learning about American History and of course started with the discovery of America. We talked a little about vikings, Leif Ericsson, and then of course we moved on to Christopher Columbus. We talked about how he came to American but actually thought he was in India. We learned about the ships he used to come here and even made our own version and sailed them "West to America"!
Here she is with the Santa Maria.
The Nina and the Pinta didn't make it on our journey :) I had read someone's blog about how they used napkins and it never occured to me that napkins might not be the best idea due to the fact that they absorb water. So, when Elijah put the Pinta in the water, he tipped it just a bit and of course the "sail" was toast. He didn't seem to mind playing with them without the sails!
Here he is trying to blow Nina (before her sail disintegrated)
Having great fun!
The end result.
Forgot to mention our class pet...can you find him?
On September 11th, we took cookies to a local fire station just to say thanks. I briefly shared with Ella what happened on September 11th, 2001 and why it was important to be thankful to our police and firefighters. I couldn't believe how shy they both were when we got there!!
My kids. Shy?!?
They were oh so excited to see a "real" firefighter! He was so nice and so patient with them!
They had a hard time giving them the cookies. They were so shy or embarrassed? I'm not really sure what was up! But after that the firefighter took them outside to see the truck. Elijah was in heaven.
Seriously.
We had to pry him off the truck almost 30 minutes later! He did not want to leave!
I'm glad I got wind of this fun event at the Germantown Public Library. Once a month they have a homeschool class and they are currently learning about the ocean. This time they focused on corals and they got to make this cool creation and then eat it!!
And last...Kyle's family came into town and we took a trip downtown for the day. We all had a great time. We had never been down to Mud Island and it was the perfect day to go. It was cooler so we weren't roasting and it wasn't packed with people either. The kids had a great time and it was fun to learn a little about the Mississippi River.
We also rode the trolley...
He loved it, despite the look on his face.
Then we ate downtown on Main Street at The Majestic.
It was a lovely day :)

No comments:
Post a Comment