Saturday, October 24, 2009

Pumpkin Patch Party

His favorite thing. Seriously. In the whole world.

This boy LOVES tractors. He has been slightly obsessed with them for at least 6 months now. When I started thinking about his birthday party I kept going back to the idea of somehow getting a tractor in our backyard.

A HUGE one. Like, the real deal.

I finally decided that since he birthday is so close to Halloween, why not pair it up with a pumpkin patch. He'll get to see a tractor up close, and let's face it, that's about all we can hope for.

We invited his best buddies. Twins. Daniel and Dawson. Born exactly one week before him. Here is Elijah and Daniel playing in the giant sand box.

Which turned out to be Elijah's favorite thing to do here. He stayed by that sand box as long as we would let him! That right there was worth the whole day. If only I had known that was all we had to do!!!

We also invited his preschool class. We had a pretty good turnout. Here is the whole group.

All waiting patiently for the festivities to begin.

"Train" ride.

Elijah and Summer

Maddie and Ella

After the train ride we decided to eat lunch and have cupcakes.

Here is Elijah and Gabe, in their matching shirts!

Bella and Marleigh

Older girls. Annelise, Lily, and Ella

The cupcakes.

I was a little bummed. This was our first party that was not hosted at our house. I had no idea what to expect and really hadn't thought through how difficult it is to literally bring everything you might need!

My lists each had their own list. No kidding.

So, my plan was to arrive on location by 9:45-10:00 (the party was set for 10:30). Of course I didn't make it there until a little after 10:00 and had both kids with me. Not exactly what I had planned but I was going with it.

As I am getting out of the van a car pulls up next to me and it is a party guest. Are you kidding me?!? Then, as I'm trying to figure out what to do with the kids so I can unload the van I notice yet another party guest who was already there way before me! And then they all came flooding in. It was crazy. No time to set up. No time to organize my mind. Ugh. Not how I wanted to start this.

Anyway, I had quite a time the week beforehand getting these cupcake toppers in. I ordered them off etsy and they didn't come. I contacted the seller and she was so sweet she overnighted another batch to me! Whew!

Needless to say, I was determined to use them. But that was the extent of my decorating. Oh well. Three year olds don't notice anyway. I just know it makes for better pictures.

He's happy. That's all that matters.

Dawson and Daniel

Maddie and Summer

See I had a green table cloth and yellow plates, green napkins, yellow utensils. (John Deere).

I can picture it. It would have been so cute.

Getting over it...

Okay. So after food we all took a hayride to the pumpkin patch to pick out our very own pumpkins to take home. Elijah had greatly anticipated this event.

Elijah and Lily

Ella searching for the best pumpkin.

Photogenic maybe?

Great pumpkin! But he put it back for a much cooler one.

See that tiny, green one? Um, yeah, insisted on that one.

After the hayride we headed back and let the kids just have some free time playing. Elijah of course went right back to the sand box. He could have stayed there all day I tell ya!

It was a great birthday inspite of the lack of control I had! It was a good lesson for me. Roll with the punches. I think I did a pretty good job.

Next year, I'm pretty sure we'll be celebrating at home.

No comments: