Wednesday, December 17, 2008

3 Cute Stories

So, tonight I took Ella to Awana and before we went to her class I decided to use the restroom. I took Elijah in the stall with me to try to keep better control of him and as I go to close the door I hear "Lello!", and turn to find him looking under the stall to the lady next to me! Oh my, talk about embarrasing! Then as I start to go potty he announces, "Mommy pee pee. Mommy pee pee." I hear chuckling from the stall beside me...

This afternoon Ella was coloring and she says to me, "Mom, do you know what Jesus wants for Christmas?" Interested in where this is going I respond, "No, what does Jesus want for Christmas?" As sweet as can be she says, "Us." Too cute!


Lastly, this happened long ago but I want it documented and will probably never get it written down anywhere. So, all you Obama fans, I apologize in advance. A few days before the election Ella came home from preschool with a paper telling about each candidate and asking who she would vote for. Now a few days prior to this she went to vote with me and knew who I voted for. So, I see on this paper that she has chosen Obama. I about died! So, I asked her why she chose him and if she remembered that I had voted for McCain. I didn't intend to make her feel bad I was just intrigued! So, the following week when the poll results came in we were eating breakfast and I had the paper there with Obama of course on the front page. I began to share with Ella that Obama had won and the conversation went a little like this:
Me~ Ella, remember when we went to vote for a new President?
Ella~ Yes.
Me~Well, Obama won.
Ella~ The guy I picked won?
Me~ Yes. But that wasn't who we wanted to win, remember?
Ella~ So, I made the wrong guy win?
Me~ Well, no sweetheart, your vote didn't count.
Ella~ My vote didn't count?
Me~ Well no, you have to be 18 to really vote. Your vote was just pretend.
Ella~ Why didn't we want him to win?
Me~ Well, he's a bad man. (I know that is awful and after saying it I knew it was wrong...it wasn't what I meant!) He doesn't want the same things we want. He doesn't believe the same things we believe.

I knew she was tormented at this point and I felt as though I would have been better off NOT explaining all this to her. As I am thinking of a way to change the subject, I pick up the paper and then hear Elijah saying, "Owie, owie, owie." (very calmly). He is pointing at the giant picture of Obama and saying, "Owie, owie, owie." Over and over and over.

I managed somehow to cause my 5 year old worry and my 2 year old fear! What have I done? The next day I tried to undo the damage only to feed her worry and his fear. Again she is asking things like, "Does Obama believe in God?" and Elijah is repeating his mantra, "Owie, owie, owie." I think I'll quit now. No more political conversations for me, I'll leave those to Kyle.

1 comment:

goooooood girl said...

your blog is so good......