For Christmas we got Ella one of those Butterfly Kits. We had purchased kits in the past where the caterpillar had already formed their chrysalis and we loved the process. But this time it was nice to see the entire process.
So, I sent the certificate in for the caterpillars and they sent us 5 little caterpillars in this little container with food and we were good to go. I was not on the ball at all though and didn't take pictures until about a week later :(
Oh well. We truly loved the experience and actually grew very attached to our butterflies believe it or not! I'm sure we will do this again next year :)
Here are 3 of the 5 ready to make their chrysalis.
This was the scary part for me because I was so afraid they would fall! I later read that a caterpillar goes through 5 molting phases. He molts his skin 5 times!!! Isn't that insane? So the last molting phase takes place as the chrysalis is forming. I happened to catch one of them doing this and they shake violently, I was certain he was about to fall! I should be ashamed I know, I literally had no faith in this whole process. This process created by our Lord. And an amazing process it is!
A few days after they all formed their chrysalis we were supposed to remove them from their container and pin them into the "cage". Another scary moment but we managed to do it without disturbing them!
Here are 2 of them after they transformed!
This is blurry because I took it through the net part of their home. I didn't want to disturb them because I was trying to catch a picture of them actually drinking. I'm not sure you can make it out though. It is a flower with drops of sugar water on it and 2 of the butterflies are drinking.
We, of course, incorporated this into our schooling and Ella kept a journal from day one about each thing that happened every day, illustrating the book herself with her own drawings. She did a great job and we all learned together a little more about the caterpillar/butterfly life cycle.
Maybe we grew so attached that we named them or maybe we named them and that caused our attachment, who knows. But yes, we did name the little guys. I named one, Cappie; abbreviation for cappuccino. Kyle named one, Vanilla Twilight; he loves vanilla lattes and the kids love this song! Elijah named 2, Sugar Sugar and Honey Honey for his current favorite song! And Ella named the last one Cinco. She is brilliant and here is why...
She happened to notice that the butterfly had a number 5 pattern on it's wing AND since it was the last to come out it had to be named Cinco- Spanish for the number 5. Isn't she brilliant?!? And it wasn't until the day we let it go that I actually saw this 5 she was referring to.
Do you see it? On the right wing. And of course on the left wing it is reversed so it looks like a 2. I just thought that was the neatest thing ever!!
What a great experience we had doing this. We are considering doing the ladybug one next, we'll see.

No comments:
Post a Comment