I am splitting this post into 2 separate posts just due to the high volume of things we did to celebrate Easter. We love to celebrate Easter and always find more things than we have time to do. We did some of the traditional things we always do but added a few new ones as well. For instance...
Our church sent home a little pamphlet of Scripture to read and then activities to do together. We really enjoyed it and it really helped us keep focus on what exactly we are celebrating in the first place. It also helps that I could tie all this in with school because Ella and I were just studying humility and meekness. I was able to use Jesus' death on the cross as good examples for both. Jesus was willing to give up his life for us, we should be humbled by that and willing to "give up" for others. The Bible also talks about how Jesus didn't fight back when he was mocked and beaten. Instead he was meek. If Jesus can be meek and humble in that "huge" picture, certainly we can be meek and humble in the little things we are confronted with in our day-to-day lives.
So, here are a few things we did:
Our Easter Tree:
We wrote down some promises that God made to us on eggs that we cut out of construction paper. Then hung them on the tree. This was a great reminder throughout the week.
We made our own crown of thorns. Braided bread dough with tooth picks for thorns. Each time we saw someone doing something kind or "sacrificing" for another, they were allowed to remove one of the thorns. This was a huge hit, and again, such a great reminder.
I used the leftover dough to make smaller crowns for the kids to eat. They loved them!
Another day we made sculptures from play dough.
We made crosses...
another crown of thorns...
an easter bunny and a basket with eggs...
the poor bunny kept falling apart!
We learned lots about sacrificing and serving others. I will most definitely be keeping that little pamphlet and using it again next year.

No comments:
Post a Comment