Wednesday, June 16, 2010

How Can I Say No?

I'm on a roll with these "Elijah stories".
That kid cracks.me.up. Cracks everyone up really. He is such a ham.
This however is not so much a "funny" story as just a "sweet, melt a Momma's heart" story.

The nighttime ritual before bed usually consists of teeth, potty, story, prayers, and then I lay down with him for a few minutes, sometimes we chat, sometimes we sing/hum, and sometimes we just lay there in an attempt to get calmed down. On this particular night we had finished up prayers and we were just laying there when all of a sudden he starts softly singing. He continues to sing and it took me a few to figure out exactly what he was doing. There is a song at church they sing that goes something like this:

"Saw, saw the wood. Pound, pound the nail. Build a house for Jesus, spread love all around." They do hand motions too. You "saw" with one hand on the other hand that is the "wood." You "pound" on one hand that is the "nail."
Hopefully this makes sense.

So, I can see him doing these motions and just singing this song ever so softly. He probably sang it a dozen times when finally...

Me~ "Okay Buddy, that's enough, it's time to go to sleep."
Elijah~ "Just one more time Momma."
Me~ "Elijah, that's..."
Elijah~ "Mom, I'm building a house for Jesus." (the tone was sheer, "matter-of-fact, duh, I can't stop now" brilliance.)
He knows how to work his Momma.

Yes, he won. How could I tell him no? I mean seriously, build all the houses for Jesus you want Buddy.

Oh yeah, he even threw in a, "I'm building a house for you, Momma."
Master manipulator that one.

No comments: